News BarrelNews Barrel
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Education
  • Health
  • Metro
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Tech
  • Sports
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending
  • Akhigbe Pledges Grassroots Mobilisation for Tinubu, Hamzat, Abiru, Faleke, Oshinowo, Okanlawon, APC Ahead of 2027
  • Ogun Lawmaker,Citiside Raises Alarm Over Alleged Killing of Oniyiku, Demands Police Probe
  • Akintan, Egungbohun Applaud Abiodun As Agbele-Asa Gets First Monarch After Decades of Wait
  • Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day
  • JUST IN: Hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
  • Olisa of Imushin Kingdom’s Daughter Becomes LASU Graduate
  • NUJ OGBC Celebrates Waheed Ogunjobi’s Academic Feat
  • Ikangba Community Urges Ogun Governor to Intervene in Land Crisis, Cites Threat to Lives The people of Ikangba Community in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State have appealed to the state Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, to urgently intervene in an escalating land dispute which they alleged had resulted in harassment, sporadic shootings and threats to the lives of residents. The community made the appeal at a press conference, where its representatives expressed concern that continued activities by individuals they described as alleged land grabbers could further threaten the peace and security of the area. According to the Oluweri Osundekun, secretary of the Yeye-imule Family Descendants Of Ijebu-ode who addressed the press said that the crisis had also involved the alleged deployment of security personnel in attempts to take possession of its ancestral land, prompting the intervention of security agencies, including the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigeria Police Force. The community alleged that two of its indigenes were previously arrested and detained at the DSS office in Abeokuta in connection with the dispute, but were later released after documentary evidence supporting the community’s position was presented and reviewed. It further claimed that the DSS Director, after hearing from the parties and examining the circumstances surrounding the dispute, warned those involved against actions capable of disrupting peace in Ikangba. The community said a similar intervention was made by the Ogun State Commissioner of Police, who reportedly invited the parties, listened to their positions and warned the alleged land grabbers to stay away from the disputed property. Despite these interventions, the community alleged that harassment had continued, with reports of maiming and sporadic shooting on the disputed land. The people of Ikangba also alleged that the alleged land grabbers enjoyed the backing of the Idowa traditional institution, particularly the Dagburewe of Idowa, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adefuwape, whom they accused of contributing to the persistence of the crisis. However, the community stressed that it was not seeking to prejudge the matter or usurp the powers of the courts and security agencies, but wanted the dispute resolved through lawful and due process. It said it had already approached the Ogun State Anti-Land Grabbing Task Force and other relevant security agencies, while also appealing to the state government for intervention. The community therefore urged Governor Abiodun to direct a thorough and impartial investigation into the dispute, protect all parties involved and ensure that ownership of the land was determined through due process. It also called for an immediate halt to the alleged use of security personnel or private agents to intimidate residents, stressing that no individual should be allowed to use influence or connections to dispossess citizens of their ancestral property. The community appealed to the leadership of the DSS and the Nigeria Police Force to ensure that their personnel were not used, directly or indirectly, to enforce private claims in land disputes. While calling on all parties to sheathe their swords and embrace peaceful resolution, the people of Ikangba warned that nobody should be allowed to enter the disputed land with firearms, threaten residents, maim anyone or engage in sporadic shooting while the matter is being resolved. The community urged the Governor, Commissioner of Police, DSS leadership, Anti-Land Grabbing Task Force and other relevant authorities to act swiftly to prevent further escalation. It said its primary demands were justice, peace and protection, stressing that it did not want violence or confrontation with security agencies or traditional institutions. The community appealed to the media to amplify its concerns, saying urgent intervention was necessary to prevent the crisis from claiming an innocent life. The people of Ikangba maintained that they remained committed to peaceful resolution of the dispute and expressed confidence that the state government would ensure that the rule of law prevailed.
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest RSS Instagram YouTube WhatsApp TikTok Telegram
News BarrelNews Barrel
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Education
  • Health
  • Metro
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Tech
  • Sports
News BarrelNews Barrel
You are at:Home » Alleged Land Grabbing: Ogun Businessman, Councillor Trade Claims Amid Rising Tension

Alleged Land Grabbing: Ogun Businessman, Councillor Trade Claims Amid Rising Tension

0
By News Barrel on April 11, 2026 News


A protracted land dispute in Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State has intensified, with the Chief Executive Officer of Young Agro Services Ltd, Johnson Akindele, accusing a serving councillor, Lateef Adekunle, of land grabbing, intimidation and abuse of office.


Akindele, who spoke on the development, alleged that the crisis, which has lingered for years, has worsened despite interventions by traditional rulers, community leaders, security agencies and government officials.


He claimed that the councillor representing Ward 03 had persistently encroached on several parcels of land he lawfully acquired across communities including Ita Ijaiye, Alawonla, Eredo and Imo Emulu. According to him, some of the properties were either forcefully taken over, resold without his consent or abandoned under pressure from community stakeholders.
Describing the situation as both frustrating and life-threatening, Akindele alleged misuse of power by the councillor. “The continuous encroachment on my property is unlawful and unacceptable,” he said.


On the disputed land at Imo Emulu, estimated at 71 acres, the businessman maintained that ownership had been duly established and the land subsequently transferred to another party. He added that the community had demanded proof of ownership from the councillor, which he allegedly failed to provide.


Instead, Akindele claimed that Adekunle demanded a refund of N600 million, purportedly representing expenses incurred on the land. He also accused the councillor of deploying security operatives to harass him and his workers, alleging multiple arrests and disruptions at the site.


The dispute took a fresh turn following the circulation of a document titled “Resolution of the Palace of Human Resources Manager, Olu-Owode Kingdom,” which reportedly valued the land at N450 million and total expenditure at N600 million.
In a letter dated April 7, 2026, addressed to the Olu of Owode-in-Council, Akindele rejected the document, describing it as misleading and lacking legitimacy. He stated that he neither recognised the body that issued the resolution nor appeared before it at any time.


He further argued that no binding resolution was reached at a meeting held before the traditional council on March 31, 2026, insisting that the councillor was instead asked to provide verifiable evidence to support his claim.


Akindele also questioned the financial figures contained in the document, citing inconsistencies and absence of supporting evidence such as receipts and transaction records. He alleged possible collusion involving a former site manager, claiming the repeated N600 million figure pointed to a coordinated attempt to dispossess him.


Community leaders in the area have largely backed Akindele, calling for due process and restraint to prevent escalation of the crisis.
A human rights advocate and community leader, Bishop Ezekiel Olukunle, who facilitated earlier reconciliation efforts, said a prior resolution at the palace favoured the businessman.


He noted that stakeholders at the meeting, including religious leaders, chiefs and market representatives, agreed that the councillor had no valid claim to the land but later failed to abide by the decision.


Similarly, the Baale of Abule Ode, Chief Isiaka Sowunmi Soetan, confirmed that the matter had been presented before the traditional council, which directed the councillor to produce evidence to substantiate his claim.


Another community leader criticised alleged attempts to leverage political influence in the dispute, stressing that no individual should exploit public office to override due process or dispossess rightful owners.


As tensions persist, stakeholders have urged both parties to exercise restraint and follow lawful channels, warning that the dispute could threaten peace in the community if not urgently resolved.


Efforts to obtain a response from the councillor, Lateef Adekunle, were unsuccessful as of the time of filing this report.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
News Barrel
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Newsbarrelng is an independent online news outlet committed to credible journalism and responsible reporting. We cover politics, business, entertainment, sports, and social issues shaping Nigeria and the world at large. Our editorial process is guided by accuracy, fairness, and transparency. At Newsbarrelng, we believe informed citizens build a stronger society, and we strive to provide news that reflects the realities, voices, and aspirations of people.

Related Posts

Akhigbe Pledges Grassroots Mobilisation for Tinubu, Hamzat, Abiru, Faleke, Oshinowo, Okanlawon, APC Ahead of 2027

Ogun Lawmaker,Citiside Raises Alarm Over Alleged Killing of Oniyiku, Demands Police Probe

Akintan, Egungbohun Applaud Abiodun As Agbele-Asa Gets First Monarch After Decades of Wait

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

About
About

News Barrel NG is an independent online news platform dedicated to delivering timely, accurate, and impactful news from Ogun State and across Nigeria.

Facebook Twitter Instagram WhatsApp
Categories
  • Business (23)
  • Education (22)
  • Entertainment (34)
  • Health (11)
  • Metro (129)
  • News (2,589)
  • Opinion/Features (13)
  • Politics (73)
  • Security (36)
  • Society (83)
  • Sports (9)
  • Tech (27)

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

© 2026 The News Barrel. Designed by FematTech.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.