News BarrelNews Barrel
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Education
  • Health
  • Metro
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Tech
  • Sports
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending
  • Ogun Lawmaker,Citiside Raises Alarm Over Alleged Killing of Oniyiku, Demands Police Probe
  • Akintan, Egungbohun Applaud Abiodun As Agbele-Asa Gets First Monarch After Decades of Wait
  • Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day
  • JUST IN: Hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy
  • Olisa of Imushin Kingdom’s Daughter Becomes LASU Graduate
  • NUJ OGBC Celebrates Waheed Ogunjobi’s Academic Feat
  • Ikangba Community Urges Ogun Governor to Intervene in Land Crisis, Cites Threat to Lives The people of Ikangba Community in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State have appealed to the state Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, to urgently intervene in an escalating land dispute which they alleged had resulted in harassment, sporadic shootings and threats to the lives of residents. The community made the appeal at a press conference, where its representatives expressed concern that continued activities by individuals they described as alleged land grabbers could further threaten the peace and security of the area. According to the Oluweri Osundekun, secretary of the Yeye-imule Family Descendants Of Ijebu-ode who addressed the press said that the crisis had also involved the alleged deployment of security personnel in attempts to take possession of its ancestral land, prompting the intervention of security agencies, including the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigeria Police Force. The community alleged that two of its indigenes were previously arrested and detained at the DSS office in Abeokuta in connection with the dispute, but were later released after documentary evidence supporting the community’s position was presented and reviewed. It further claimed that the DSS Director, after hearing from the parties and examining the circumstances surrounding the dispute, warned those involved against actions capable of disrupting peace in Ikangba. The community said a similar intervention was made by the Ogun State Commissioner of Police, who reportedly invited the parties, listened to their positions and warned the alleged land grabbers to stay away from the disputed property. Despite these interventions, the community alleged that harassment had continued, with reports of maiming and sporadic shooting on the disputed land. The people of Ikangba also alleged that the alleged land grabbers enjoyed the backing of the Idowa traditional institution, particularly the Dagburewe of Idowa, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adefuwape, whom they accused of contributing to the persistence of the crisis. However, the community stressed that it was not seeking to prejudge the matter or usurp the powers of the courts and security agencies, but wanted the dispute resolved through lawful and due process. It said it had already approached the Ogun State Anti-Land Grabbing Task Force and other relevant security agencies, while also appealing to the state government for intervention. The community therefore urged Governor Abiodun to direct a thorough and impartial investigation into the dispute, protect all parties involved and ensure that ownership of the land was determined through due process. It also called for an immediate halt to the alleged use of security personnel or private agents to intimidate residents, stressing that no individual should be allowed to use influence or connections to dispossess citizens of their ancestral property. The community appealed to the leadership of the DSS and the Nigeria Police Force to ensure that their personnel were not used, directly or indirectly, to enforce private claims in land disputes. While calling on all parties to sheathe their swords and embrace peaceful resolution, the people of Ikangba warned that nobody should be allowed to enter the disputed land with firearms, threaten residents, maim anyone or engage in sporadic shooting while the matter is being resolved. The community urged the Governor, Commissioner of Police, DSS leadership, Anti-Land Grabbing Task Force and other relevant authorities to act swiftly to prevent further escalation. It said its primary demands were justice, peace and protection, stressing that it did not want violence or confrontation with security agencies or traditional institutions. The community appealed to the media to amplify its concerns, saying urgent intervention was necessary to prevent the crisis from claiming an innocent life. The people of Ikangba maintained that they remained committed to peaceful resolution of the dispute and expressed confidence that the state government would ensure that the rule of law prevailed.
  • Opposition Unity Push Puts Amaechi’s VP Slot Under Fresh Pressure
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest RSS Instagram YouTube WhatsApp TikTok Telegram
News BarrelNews Barrel
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Education
  • Health
  • Metro
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Tech
  • Sports
News BarrelNews Barrel
You are at:Home » Ogun Lawmaker,Citiside Raises Alarm Over Alleged Killing of Oniyiku, Demands Police Probe

Ogun Lawmaker,Citiside Raises Alarm Over Alleged Killing of Oniyiku, Demands Police Probe

0
By News Barrel on August 20, 2026 News, Security

The lawmaker representing Ipokia/Idiroko State Constituency in the Ogun State House of Assembly, Otunba Bisi Oyedele, popularly known as CITISIDE, has condemned the reported killing of Mr. Owolabi Oniyiku at Iyana Akinde Afuye, along the Ifonyintedo Road, allegedly by personnel of the Nigeria Police Border Patrol Team.

Oyedele, who made his position known in a statement, described the incident as deeply disturbing, saying the circumstances surrounding Oniyiku’s death must be thoroughly investigated to establish the facts and ensure accountability where wrongdoing is established.

The lawmaker said the incident could not be treated as another unfortunate occurrence, particularly against the backdrop of what he described as longstanding concerns by residents of border communities over the proliferation of security checkpoints, harassment, intimidation and alleged unprofessional conduct by security personnel.

He recalled that he had previously moved a motion on the floor of the Ogun State House of Assembly calling for the reduction of excessive security checkpoints along the Idiroko-Owode Road and other border corridors, as well as a review of the activities of security operatives along the routes.

According to him, the motion was not motivated by political considerations but was a direct response to the concerns of his constituents and a warning about the dangers associated with excessive and uncoordinated security operations on the roads.
Oyedele noted that while security checkpoints remained necessary for protecting lives and property, excessive stops and questioning of legitimate road users could create unnecessary tension and lead to altercations.

He questioned whether security operations that create fear and expose innocent citizens to unnecessary risks could genuinely be regarded as effective protection.
“Security must never become a threat to the very people it is meant to protect. No security operation should be conducted in a manner that places the lives of innocent citizens at unnecessary risk,” he said.

The lawmaker therefore called on the Inspector-General of Police and the Ogun State Commissioner of Police to order an immediate, transparent and independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding Oniyiku’s death, stressing that the bereaved family and the community deserved justice.

Oyedele further alleged that the incident was the third case of extrajudicial killing involving police personnel in his constituency since 2023.

He recalled the reported killing of Adeleye Eniola of Mayigi Community High School, Ilashe, as one of the previous incidents that had generated concerns among residents.

He urged the leadership of the Nigeria Police Force, particularly the Inspector-General of Police and the Ogun State Commissioner of Police, to critically examine the recurring allegations and take concrete measures to prevent further loss of lives.

The lawmaker also condemned the reported burning of the police station following the incident, saying that while public anger might be understandable, violence and destruction of property were unacceptable and could worsen an already tense situation.

He appealed to youths and residents of the affected communities to remain calm and resist any action capable of leading to further loss of lives or destruction of property.

Oyedele also urged security authorities to engage affected communities and address legitimate grievances, stressing that sustainable peace could only be achieved through accountability, dialogue, justice and mutual respect.

He reaffirmed his commitment to speaking against practices and actions that undermine the safety, dignity and fundamental rights of his constituents.

“Our people deserve security, not fear; protection, not harassment; justice, not silence or excuses. The circumstances surrounding the death of Owolabi Oniyiku must be investigated and the truth must be made public,” he said.

The lawmaker maintained that residents of the border communities should be able to go about their legitimate activities without fear, while security agencies must discharge their responsibilities professionally and in accordance with the law.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
News Barrel
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Newsbarrelng is an independent online news outlet committed to credible journalism and responsible reporting. We cover politics, business, entertainment, sports, and social issues shaping Nigeria and the world at large. Our editorial process is guided by accuracy, fairness, and transparency. At Newsbarrelng, we believe informed citizens build a stronger society, and we strive to provide news that reflects the realities, voices, and aspirations of people.

Related Posts

Akintan, Egungbohun Applaud Abiodun As Agbele-Asa Gets First Monarch After Decades of Wait

Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day

JUST IN: Hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

About
About

News Barrel NG is an independent online news platform dedicated to delivering timely, accurate, and impactful news from Ogun State and across Nigeria.

Facebook Twitter Instagram WhatsApp
Categories
  • Business (23)
  • Education (22)
  • Entertainment (34)
  • Health (11)
  • Metro (129)
  • News (2,588)
  • Opinion/Features (13)
  • Politics (72)
  • Security (36)
  • Society (83)
  • Sports (9)
  • Tech (27)

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

© 2026 The News Barrel. Designed by FematTech.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.